A few years ago we were driving someplace on an Interstate highway, over my wife's phone we heard a weather alert about a tornado in the area. The warning was telling what counties the tornado was passing through. Since we had no idea what county we were passing through, or what county was ahead, behind, or to either side of us, that warning was pretty useless. We pretty much just pulled over and waited, and hoped we would be OK. We got caught up in some pretty heavy wind and hard rain. One has to wonder if we would have been better off to just keep moving at 75 mph, or if we were better off stopping.

About the middle of last year we were also driving on the interstate highway and heard the weather alert on my wife's phone telling about a tornado in the area, that warning told us what mile marker the tornado was expected to cross the interstate, finding a mile marker is a lot easier then finding out what county you are in. That is useful information. That tornado passed about 3 miles behind us, so we kept going.

Both warnings were in different states, I can only hope the last warning is the new standard for storm warnings for all states. I know what 10 counties are near me, but you get me 50 miles south and I have little idea what counties may be close by. Cities, towns, and mile markers are better information concerning storm warnings when you are traveling.