“……Front springs are stock but new. Scarebird offers a disc brake conversion. https://scarebird.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=64&product_id=175

I didn't install power steering, just toughed it out with the manual set up. Actually, I liked the natural feel on the road, though parking could be challenging. I kept the original, large diameter steering wheel, so that gave me some leverage. The ride with the stock suspension was quite comfortable and controlled…….”

Thanks 56 Royal. That’s the info I was looking for. I’ve already been looking at the Scarebird conversion. They appear be the only game in town right now. AAJ used to make a kit, but I don’t think they’re in business anymore.

“….As to the Ford rear, is the pinion offset the same as the Mopar? Worth mentioning…..”

Honestly not real sure John, but something else to definitely consider (and research).

“…..Be aware that a 57 Dodge and a 55 & 56 are different critters. The 57 was "all new" and the power steering on a 57 only fits a 57-60, and leaves a lot to be desired. The steering box is part of the steering column, (both manual and power, but the power box is huge) and it all goes in and out of the car through the car's interior. Because of the 57's torsion bars and the location of the steering box, you are very limited to other power steering options. Something you may want to keep in mind as you look for a car……”

Thanks poorboy, and yes I am definitely aware of the differences between the 55-56 and the 57-60 car (actually if I’m not mistaken the same steering box was used thru 1962 on the Chryslers).

You’re right about them leaving a lot to be desired. In addition to being a PIA to get in and out the road feel is horrible……it was the reason I went with manual steering when I originally built my 57 Plymouth.
I did a “Youturn” Power steering conversion on my 57 a couple of years ago that used a Ford truck PS box. It was a fair amount of work. A large part was making some modifications for the clutch linkage as it wasn’t designed for manual shift cars. All in all it was worth it and I’m really pleased with the results. The company is now also making a PS conversion for the 55-56 Dodge and Plymouths and that’s kind of the direction I’m looking at going.

Last edited by Mike P; 03/07/22 05:44 PM.

1957 Plymouth (Hemi, Dual Quads, A833 4 Speed 9 1/4 w 4.10) Sold
1937 Dodge Pickup (Hemi, 6X2 intake, 46RH, Dana 60 w 4.56) Sold
1968 Plymouth Valiant 2dr sedan (354 HEMI, 46RH w/4.30 gears) under construction