Originally Posted by Cheeto
Originally Posted by poorboy
[quote=Jim_Lusk].. I'm with Jim on this one. Retirement has some advantages, unless the inflation rate keeps going at the current level.....

Here we are a month+ later...job hunting yet? laugh2

My wife is complaining about the cost of food, and the heating bill, but she pays for that stuff from her SS check (she gets more then I do, I was self employed and just contributed the minimum amount each year to keep it in effect). She is not ready to go back to work yet, so I think we are OK so far. up

We are debt free, so the utilities, food, insurances (car, health supplement, and house), and what we spend money on foolishly (gas for cruising around, hotel/motel expenses, car parts, things she wants for the house, and dining out are a few) are the only things we need to pay for monthly (either one of our SS checks would more then fully cover the necessary expenses). We may need to cut back on some of our foolish spending a bit if inflation keeps going up.

What we are watching pretty closely is our taxable income. There is a max level of income you can make before they (state or fed) start collecting income tax. That amount is fixed, but as cost of living increases in SS keep going up, the max tax level doesn't change. Every increase gets us closer to that magic number. When we cross that threshold, things start changing quickly.