Originally Posted by hemi70se
Oh, I hear ya. I see plenty of guys that like to cut corners on repairs. I would just say to ask plenty of questions and get a feel for IF they cut corners or have a pro inspect a possible purchase. I get plenty of repeat customers and referrals because I do things right. No aftermarket parts, and drivetrain parts that are similar or less miles. I just fixed a 2018 Cummins that got sunk 4 ft in a pond. Sucked water into 1 cylinder so I replaced the engine with one with only 39K on it (truck had 46k). replaced every single electronic part and wiring. Brand new dash and full cab harnesses to the tune of over $1200 alone. I had an 18 Ram 3500 6.4 shortbed that got hit hard in the front, only 18k miles., Big Horn. Bought it for only $8,100. I bought a brand new frame for it for $2100 along with new Mopar fenders, hood, and RH doors. Sold it about when the pandemic started. I'm sure the guy that bought it is quite happy with it.

It is all about who does the repairs. We used to buy totaled vehicles at the sale and rebuild them at the shop. Lots of money to be saved as you mention, but if you buy from the wrong rebuilder there is a lot to lose as well. Been thinking about going to the sale again as that is the only way I will ever be able to afford a newer truck.