as one who has wired a few [? biggrin] vehicles over the years, as well as repaired MANY um, shall we say, mistakes, most of the popular kits will do good for most applications.
it basically boils down what a guy wants to accomplish in his particular build.
most kits are somewhat GM based, so that may or may not, be something to concern yourself with.
which ever kit you choose, make sure [if possible] the wires are long enough to make it to the intended item without having to add additional wire.
good terminals and connectors are a must.
it is also good to have a couple of extra places in the fuse box for future additions if the need arises. if that is not possible, there are several add-on fused strips that you may want to consider.
make sure the insulation is the correct automotive grade plastic [i forget what the name of that plastic is. sorry] also, make sure the wire gauge is the correct size for the item being powered. just like the new vehicles, there seems to be a trend to down size the wire gauge to the minimum required to run the accessory in the kits.
as to "no-name" or swap meet kits out there, i have seen some pretty nice ones as well as pure trash, so be careful with those.
good crimper tools are a must - DO NOT use those crimper tools that come in the 3,821 piece terminal kits from elcheapistanfright.
get extra wire and terminals, then practice using your crimper until you can produce solid crimps. it may seem like wasted money, but i have had to replace too many bad crimps over the years because the tools were not used properly, or bad tools were used in the first place.
and finally, sometimes it is just better to wire from scratch. when doing this, make dang SURE you draw out a diagram of your harness ! it will come in handy in the future !
beer