Originally Posted by Mastershake340
Originally Posted by Montclaire
Originally Posted by not_a_charger
Before anyone chimes in with the suggestion to contact insurance companies and ask if they have any info, I can tell you not to waste your time trying. They won't tell you a thing.

They won't help, but they DO have it. Even VON records.

Even if they have vin data for all the cars they’ve insured, it might not be accurate.
I just went around in circles for a week with Autotrader trying to figure out why the ad I submitted for my 09 Challenger only showed pending and never would go live.
Finally they determined the vin I’d given with my listing wasn’t a valid vin. Huh? I’d copied my vin info off of my State Farm policy which was by my desk, rather than go out to the garage to take it off the car itself.
I then checked the cars VIN and sure enough, one digit didn’t match what was listed on my insurance policy. They had an 8 where an H was correct.
So apparently I’ve been insured for 12 years with an invalid VIN for my car.
You’d think they’d check insured VINs for accuracy, Autotrader apparently has a way to do that?

Customers provide the VIN to the insurance company. Sometimes, the customer is wrong. Sometimes, the person at the insurance company makes a typo. On the phone, "Eight" and "H" sound similar, and that would be an easy mistake to make. Either way, it doesn't have any impact on your insurance premiums, etc., so why spend the time/money verifying the VIN? shruggy If you have a claim, and the inspection of your vehicle finds a typo/error related to the VIN, the insurer will correct it. Typos/errors are easy to identify at that point. The bigger issue is when the VIN doesn't match at all.

Earning every penny of that moderator paycheck.

DBAP