Originally Posted by HotRodDave

The well pump is run separately so you can fight a fire if your house (panel) is burning. Probably for an equal amount of time you are more likely to burn your house down during a power outage (using candles, too much power for the generator...) and even if they were the same risk you still want to have your water to fight a fire, so it would be a good idea to do something about it. I have a slow well (2GPM) and an 1850 gallon cistern, I like having a gasoline powered pump handy to pump right out of the cistern in a total loss of power.

Just be careful, this past winter we had a multiday electrical outage so I drug out the portable generator, it's a generac. Went to put fuel in the tank and it was full of rust. I had only ever ran it once when I first bought it and I put it way empty and sealed. That is not the time to find out your portable generator, or fire fighting pump, will not work. In my case I ended up using fabbing a temporary gas tank by using a plastic one, putting a nipple in the bottom and adding a long fuel hose. Tied it all down with a bungee cord. Looking for a good plastic replacement for the original metal one.