WHEW. that was a gigantic learning curve.

So I paid for an inspector. He said the county had no records of any septic replacement on this 20yo house so that meant everything was the original SIXTY YEAR OLD SYSTEM. I called the owner out on it. They told me they contacted the original owner, the people they bought it from, and he confirmed that it was never replaced. So he spent cubic dollars on the house but never replaced the septic that was meant to support a cottage not 3500sqft!?!?

Now I was very skeptical. The owner, to ease my nerves, gives me an inspection another buyer that backed out had done. The first paragraph says "MAJOR PROBLEM - TANK OVERFLOWING". The owner tells me, "yep, we had it pumped". So pumping was basically a coverup of a failing or failed system. Shocked they showed that to me?!?!

I contacted the local goto septic guy expert. He said on this high water table island everyone will eventually have issues and they are all installing mounded systems. Just what it sounds like. A mound of dirt for the leach field to be able to drain into. To replace everything, $25,000 PLUS 2 huge trees have to come down. The trees border the septic field and are probably already causing big problems.

I tried to get them to eat the septic cost and I would take the trees down which is probably $5000+. They are playing hard ball and said NO.