Originally Posted by Sunroofcuda
I remember him mostly from Rockford. He was a great bad guy / tough guy. RIP. Not many genuine actors like him anymore.
Last night I was flipping around channels and while I despise the NFL nowadays I did notice they were playing An NFL Life on NFL channel and it was featuring John Riggins. I just slightly remembered him as a little kid and my dad watching the Redskins a little bit. I stopped on the channel then couldn't change it. RIggins is another example of a real "Man's man". Tough no nonsense straight shooter. Something I think we're really lacking now and he played in an era when it was still a team sport and not "Me Me Me". No stupid dances after scoring, no kneeling for anthem, no ridiculousness whatsoever; just a bunch of big tough guys playing on a team with the goal to win. No politics, no self centered jerks (or very few). If you ever get the chance watch his "An NFL Life". One of the funniest parts is the story of him attending a "Salute to Congress Dinner". He apparently was friends with the Reagans, George and Barbara Bush and other Repubs so he was invited. He had too much to drink and the following occurred LOL:

O’Connor was about to leave because she had an early commitment the next morning. Riggins approached O’Connor’s seat, put his arm around her husband, looked over at the first female justice in history and uttered the famous line, “come on, loosen up, Sandy baby, you’re too tight.

john-riggins-redskins-super-bowl-si-featurejpg.jpg

Facts are stubborn things.