Most of the problems are due to poor installation and not the housings. There no need to grind the chrome off. What stops the leak is that after a few attempts, people get better at the installation. Drain the coolant and remove the housing. Check the housing and the manifold or water pump housing for those working on a big block or Hemi. If there is warping, use a file to striaghten the surfaces. Clean and dry everything with a solvent. Repeat the cleaning. MAke SURE there is NO coolant, water, oil or grease on any of the surfaces. The best results I have had is to not use a gasket. Using the gasket AND RTV will probably cause it to leak. RTV smeared on both sides of a gasket can cause the gasket to act like a wick, drawing coolant through itself. Apply a good RTV - The Right Stuff or Permatex Ultra Gray (my preference) to the mounting surface and assemble the housing and torque to spec. Don't wait for it to "skin" as that defeats purpose of the adhesive qualities of the RTV, kind of like letting paint dry in can before you spray it. LET IT CURE BEFORE REFILLING THE SYSTEM. Let the RTV cure for at least a few hours, preferably overnight. Recheck the torque and then fill the system. After running the car up to full temp and cooling down, recheck the torque. Recheck it after the first 2-3 uses fo the car and it should be fine. I've installed cheap chrome housings, stamped steel housings and high quality billet housings with no leaks.