Originally Posted by viperakron
I'm looking for a modern car in a classic body. I've had dozens of # matching correctly restored Mopars. Love to work on them over the winter, but after I drive them 100 miles they are not road friendly and a PITA. Basically coffee tables to be trailered to shows or take a short drive to a cruise. I want to drive the car, not scream down the road at 3000 RPM @ 60 MPH getting 10MPG on 93 Oct gas.

Still have them but the resto mod is the way to enjoy the look with the convivences of a modern car. My problem is tuning and hi tech wiring. This car is 95% done and I drive it on long trips, with 22MPG, nice sound system I can hear, stops like a new car, turns like a new car. Grizzly don't fight the inevitable. Old muscle is easier to work on, not much fun to drive for very long.

Back to the topic. Car is tuned with EFI Source computer and a EZ Tune system for the trans (4L80E. I'm looking for a tuner here in NE Ohio to help. But I don't really think it's the tune, more like a sensor. Runs fine when started, after it gets warm (10 miles) and not every time, starts and idles but stalls going into gear. Let it sit for a while and works fine. What sensors could be affected by a heat soak?

I'm not disagreeing with you at all.............but what I am trying to say is, new Challenger 5.7's are 25mpg. You are almost 1000 pounds lighter, you should be getting 28mpg out of that car.

Run the Chrysler drivetrain. That aftermarket computer is holding the car back. twocents

My best guess is that either the transmission temp sensor or engine temp sensor is providing the correct reading on a dash gauge, but the milivolt reading to the computer is out of range (aka-shutting the car down to protect from over-heat damage). Milivolt readings are a definite issue with aftermarket sensors because they are built to a looser QA/QC than Factory sensors. I had first-hand experience with this on a throttle position sensors on a fairly old Chrysler OB2 system. The newer stuff ('06 and up) are even WORSE.

You can't beat Factory engineering on the Chrysler stuff. I know Ford and Blunder Motors systems you can get away with anything, but Chrysler stuff you can't. I had a Fellow parked beside me at a car show last weekend with a new aftermarket supercharged Mustang putting out 745hp. No check engine light. No issues. FULL FACTORY WARRANTY. Good faqqin' luck getting that out of a Gen 3 hemi on a dealers lot. twocents

Mo' Farts

Moderated by "tbagger".