Great points everyone. Here are comments to all the posts above:

Transman, my thinking is much the same as yours at this point. I need to verify pump shot and I want to make the flappers tighter.

ph23vo, I do always give it a wing between the pre-stage in the stage lights to clear it out. I agree with you that internal set up should be checked.

lewtot184, One car has an original style pump on it and the other has a Carter hemi style pump which has recently been rebuilt. for a while I was concerned about pressure and vapor lock, but it was so cool last night and we had so much time between rounds to cool off and I do not think this is one of the issues right now. Absolutely fuel pressure is worth checking though.

cudaman1969, both cars have headers. Both cars were street driven into the track, raced, and street driven home. We did not uncork. Both cars are running drag radials. Honestly, the only difference that I see is traction. In fact after one of my runs in my automatic car with a huge bog when I got to the return road I stopped and brought it off and it was perfect; literally 20 seconds after the bog on the line.