About 5 years ago, I installed the FBO A688 ignition kit in my 1985 Dodge D150 truck (stock 318 V8 with an Edelbrock Performer intake and Q-Jet carb, Hedman headers and dual exhausts).The truck idled smoother and started a little quicker, but I couldn't tell you if it was faster (I never did a performance comparison).

The FBO ignition was reliable and trouble free but I had problems with the Standard RU11 ballast resistor that was supplied with the kit (the ballast resistor burned out twice - the first time it happened, it left me stranded on the freeway ). I installed the stock ballast resistor and the truck was fine.

On a side note - the stock black ignition box that was originally on the truck was reliable - never had a problem with it.

If I was in the market for a high performance ignition system for my Mopar, I would be taking a hard look at the MSD Ready to Run distributor or a HEI ignition (Davis Unified, Procomp).

If you wanted to stick with a conventional Chrysler electronic ignition box, I would go with the FBO ignition box and coil, or a Mopar Performance Chrome Box.