Originally Posted by kwikblownhemi
Originally Posted by DaveRS23
Just out of curiosity, why would you buy an unbalanced kit?

Buying an expensive rotating assembly from a "reputable" builder, paying extra for balance and receiving the rods in the factory-sealed bags is a good reason. The shop I use for balancing charges the same price and actually weighs and corrects as needed.

Frankly, I have never shopped for stroker kits by looking for the lowest price. Recommendations here and other places played a big role, along with the parts descriptions and finally, the way the salesman spoke on the phone. Some shops just didn't have time to answer the questions. Then, as long as the price was not out of line with their competitors, it becomes an easy decision. Consequently, the only companies that I have ever used have been Ohio Crank for my wedges and Ray Barton for the Hemi. I always have a local shop check it all. Everything has always checked out good. Ohio Crank even helps me calculate the comp ratio I am shooting for and machine the pistons to get there. I still have that first 499 engine that I built with an Ohio kit. It's probably 10 years old now and has had a lot of abuse including hurting it a time or two.

$600 for balancing or parts in their original packaging would not fly with me, either. But I have not experienced those issues with Ohio or Barton. Knock on wood.

Master, again and still