I posted this over here hoping it would reach more people. If it's not OK please feel free to move it.
I have repeatedly warned people about buying vehicles without properly verifying the VIN # (s) Some states are pretty lax about it, other's are not with Nebraska being one. Even if your current state is lax and it's not much of a problem OK.
But lets say in 5 years you or your heirs sell it to someone in a state that is like Nebraska. It now becomes a problem, and a BIG ONE for the buyer (especially) and seller. I have been witness to several of these occurrences and it's not pretty.
The worst part is the buyer has a vehicle he can't title, license, insure or drive. In two cases the vehicle was impounded, with storage fees piling up daily. 50.00 a day x 180 (6 months) = $9,000 add in lawyer fees etc. panic

What prompted me to post this was the following from I just found on a well known classic car dealers website.

VIN Verification: We photograph the primary VIN location of every vehicle and make sure that VIN exactly matches the vehicle's current title. Buyer agrees to hold seller harmless from any disputes arising from other hidden or secondary VINs present on the vehicle as seller only verifies the primary VIN location. If needed, it is the buyer's sole responsibility to verify secondary VIN locations their specific state may inspect, prior to purchase.

WOW!!! I'm not sure that would stand up in court, but it is an indicator of how big of an issue this is. And challenging the above is going to cost $$$ CAVEAT EMPTOR beer