It seems that I see this subject a bit different than some here. I am not sure that 'ramming' air to the carb is the intent or even a good idea. Any air disturbance at the carb throat is not good. The carb wants smooth, cool air to deal with. So the objective is to have ambient temp air available to the carb rather than the heated engine compartment air. As long as the scoop allows the carb to draw the cooler outside air as it needs it with no delay, restriction or disruption, it is getting what it needs.

Now, if there is some distance to the cooler air source or if the ducting is warm enough and long enough to heat up the incoming air, then some pushing to clear it might help. But, it seems that any scoop mounted directly above the carb and that allows the cooler ambient air to be drawn straight into the carb is the best thing. Air cleaner elements not only filter the incoming air, but also stabilize the air stream. Or straighten it out, so to speak.

When playing around with my Cuda a few years ago at the track, I found that the first pass of the day would be about the same E.T. whether I had under hood air or fresh air at the carb entrance. The E.T. with outside air was a little better, but with a barely warmed engine, the E.T. was close. But with each successive pass, as the engine compartment got warmer, the difference became more pronounced. The biggest difference was 1 1/2MPH between under hood air and fresh outside air. Obviously, a big difference.

Maybe Dom or some of our other carb gurus will chime in with their expertise.

Master, again and still