Originally Posted by 3hundred
Heading into retirement, I have a T Square, drawing board and drafting tools I don't think I've used in 35 years. With the advent of CAD I suspect these things are obsolete as typewriters today. But do they have any value or are they just trash can fodder?

Imagine a complete, top of the line bar-and-rail drafting machine, with degree-indexed rotating "square head," plus pivoting table, with the borco vinyl surface covering (which was $100 by itself back in our day) .. was happily given to me by a local civil engineering firm who just wanted the darned thing gone from their office..

In that sense a T-square and table, triangles, architect and engineer's scales no longer have a dollar value.. maybe some good Schaefer compasses, dividers, or circle oval hex templates, can have *some* usefulness.

A daycare center might enjoy the templates..
You *could* ask your local High School Vocational-Technical department, but they likely have already switched to digital..
...you could try a senior center (if they have someone with the background and the space) or a youngster really wants to draft by hand.

I hate to say it, but hand drafting is gone from educational and commercial use, except for us dinosaurs.. I'm 56 and still enjoy handdrafting my drawings..

..but everything can be done better digitally at a desk with a keyboard and mouse, or drawing tablet and stylus..
- Art

65 Satellite hardtop 361/4bbl console 727 2.76
67 Satellite convert 383/2bbl column 727 3.23
67 Lancia Fulvia Sport 1.3 Zagato. Alloy body, 1.3L V4 DOHC 4-spd
67 Lancia Fulvia Rallye 1.3. Alloy panel, 1.3L V4 DOHC 4-spd
71 Alfa Romeo GT Junior 1300 Zagato, 1.3L 4cyl DOHC hemi 5-spd
82 Alfa Romeo GTV6 2.5L SOHC hemi V6 5-spd transaxle
75 Maserati Bora US spec 4.9L DOHC hemi V8 5-spd ZF
77 Maserati Khamsin Euro spec 4.9L DOHC hemi V8 5-spd ZF
07 Aston Martin DB9 6.0L DOHC V12 6spd transaxle