Originally Posted by dragon slayer
I said that originally. As I also stated points where used to trigger CD type box. Points are opening against a higher current flow for a normal point system, hence the blue spark and wear to contact surface. In the petronix race set up the points no longer directly fired the coil. The coil is charged and discharged through the large power transistor that is heat sunk on the large hunk of aluminum. The points just handled a much smaller milliamp lever of current to fire a circuit to turn the power transistor off. That is why they moved to the shorter and smaller contact surface points. They could handle much higher rpm without bounce. If you used them as normal points though, they would wear out much faster because of the smaller contact area.

Through resistors, capacitor you can create electronic filters (high or low freq pass). So that AC input signal that looks like DC pulses but is considered AC because it reverse polarity can be cleaned up to simple negative pulses never even seeing the positive voltage spike. Early transistors needed a higher Vbase typically to fire. .5 to .7V range. New stuff much lower voltages, plus the move to FETs and who know what now. Let alone what can now be done by a microchip controller.

Your right as I understood right away that the points in the electronic CD ign only carried a low current compared to normal point ign systems. That was one of the good features about them way less point wear and much more point life with more spark. Ron