I had a 42 Ford coupe years back. No chrome trim on it. Was a really nice car, the wind up clock even still worked in it.

Someone before me had put a 312 Ford engine in it, with Thunderbird valve covers. The 312 had broken the base off a lifter and took out that cam lobe. Ever replaced a Y block lifter with the engine still in the car? You have to do it from underneath once the cam is removed. Once I got it running again I immediately sold the 312 to a Thunderbird fanatic (for $100), and adapted a small block Chevy to the stock driveline.

Dad worked with a guy who was a know it all on any subject presented to him. He and Dad stood there looking at the freshly installed engine for a good 10 minutes while the other guy extolled the virtues of a Ford V8. Dad finally asked me to tell him what the engine was. I think that was the only time I ever saw the guy shut up.

I drove the 42 around a summer and sold it for a $600 profit. I thought I'd hit the big time. Often have wished I'd kept the car. Haven't we all.

Lead, follow or get the hell out of the way