Originally Posted by A12
One of the main reasons for the Monroney label/window sticker was to prevent "bait and switch". If you had the window sticker with the VIN to match it to your car you knew you paid for an AM/FM radio and if it was a base AM radio or no radio at all then you knew to check your dealer invoice to make sure it was deducted or demand the radio you paid for.

I own, ostensibly, one of the rarest AMC Gremlins today because of a misunderstanding over 50 years ago. After talking to the original owner, and having her relate the story of the car to me, I think it only adds to the mystique. Big Bad Green was a very rare color in 1970. I think in total of the almost 20,000 AMX's built between 1968 and 1970, less than 300 were Big Bad Green. There are TWO BBG Rebel Machines.
Trust me, it's rare.

How did my weenie little Gremlin wind up Big Bad Green? Well, it was a college graduation present for a young lady named Jennifer. Her parents ordered the car for her without her knowledge (which also explains why it's equipped so oddly). AM radio, natch. Bucket seats and deluxe interior. Nice and sporty. Exterior dress-up with drip rail, wheel opening and rocker stainless. Bumperettes, too! 232 / 3 speed, pretty much the hottest engine combo available in '70. Electric Wipers, Handling Package, 14" tires. The car basically has every option except for Power Steering, Power Brakes, Automatic trans and Air Conditioning. It literally has everything else.

Now, the story goes when it came to color, when ordering it, Jennifer's parents made the comment that "Jenn likes Green". There were only 3 greens available. Mosport Green, which is a dark metallic. Metallic Lime which is.... akin to mopars' anal mucus gold or, for an extra $36.40.... Big Bad Green. The story that was related to me was that Jennifer's parent's didn't ask to see paint chips, they just told the salesman to pick (and I quote) "a nice, bright green".

Between you and me, I think the salesman was loading this car up with all the extras because he figured he could since they weren't opting for any of the power options. So, to hit them with another $40 for the paint, probably seemed like a good idea at the time.

Come delivery time, Jenn's parent's took her down to the dealership to take delivery of her new car. Her somewhat conservative parents were quite aghast at the color of the car, but Jenn being pretty hip, thought her parents did it on purpose because she LOVED the color. She owned the car for quite a long time, too! 13 years from the Summer of 1970 until sometime in 1983.

Bloody Mary, Full of Vodka, Blessed art thou among cocktails....