Build Thread

A buddy loaned me his trailer and this was the first event (test and tune) at my local track without COVID restrictions which allowed me to bring the family. Also new is my "COVID Ram." 0% on the remaining 2019! Loved my 06, but felt that it was time to upgrade.

First pass in several years for me and first pass on the car since switching from a wedge and factory front suspension to a pump gas hemi and GERST. Foot braking, full exhaust, street car, etc... Car launched straight and pulled hard through the gears. I hit the brakes at the end, waited for my opponent in the left lane to clear and made the turn to the return road. Noticed some smoke and thought I might have developed an oil leak, but it smelled funny.

I let the car cool and checked things over. No fluids on the ground, headers, etc... Popped the radiator cap, no oil in the coolant. Couldn't quite place the smell. I thought maybe one of my trans blanket straps came loose and touched a header???

Second pass. There were several cars in the "slicks lane." I was hoping to race something a little more like my car, but maybe the turbo civic broke or something. Car launched and ran great again. This time the safety guy ran over to me as I was picking up my slip, "Your front brakes are glowing, check your brakes!" Yep, that was the smell!

The car runs faster on pump gas no nitrous, than it did on the bottle with the wedge. I think there is a 9 in it with a little tuning (I didn't even pull a plug), timing is conservative 32. It currently only techs to a 10. I'll upgrade the front brakes and take the second turn off next time out. Hoping to do some 1/8 mile no prep stuff and turn on the nitrous in the short term. Maybe get the cage certed, NHRA License, etc... next year.

[Linked Image]IMG_5191 by Greg Ault, on Flickr

[Linked Image]IMG_5196 by Greg Ault, on Flickr