Originally Posted by roadrunninMark
So if someone was going to buy one welder, that would be able to do most everything nicely, a TIG welder is the one to buy? For a DIY'er, who may not weld a lot and has minimal skills (using a MIG, never TIG welded before), which unit would be "good enough" for a budget and how difficult is it to learn how to TIG weld properly? Can you learn via by practicing or do you need a proper class?

Depends on your budget?, but welders are like garages, never big enough/always lacking options, so go big as your budget allows, invest in a QUALITY machine(s) new or used

As far as tig, if you can stick weld/ARC (which should be your most basic welding skill possessed) you can TIG, you just need to learn the machine and some do's and don'ts of techniques/application, everyone has a preference as to how they handle bodywork/fabrication, myself I employ ARC/MiG/Tig into my work so I need a variety of machines along with options like spool guns for aluminum....

Personally for the beginner on a small budget I'd recommend a 208/220 MiG like a Hobart/Miller 175/185 series, the smaller 120 volt machines will struggle with anything thicker than 1/8 steel...

Mike