The first I bad remark I heard about Doctors being bad pilots and flying involve the Beech Craft Bonanza V tail single engine air planes that a lot of doctors bought and flew in the early to late 1950s, the bad mouth was they where knowns as the forked tail doctor killers in the general aviation groups shruggy
Those airplane had a well known history of knocking the tail off when they exceeded the VNE, velocity never exceed speed.
The story went along that most of the Dr. always being in a hurry and not watching the air speed indicator when descending and BANGO goes the tail whiney
My first night of ground school for getting the training needed to fly as a private pilot, the instructor said 95% or more of general aviation (private pilots) accidents where pilot errors shock I thought to myself that has to be baloney sauce, nobody is stupid enough to kill themselves in a airplane, BOY was I WRONG about that whiney
Sounds like this pilot got into conditions he wasn't competent to fly successfully in whiney work

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)