Originally Posted by Guitar Jones
Yeah the intake valves aren't sealing, why is a mystery though. But 314K on a 4.7? You should win some kind of award for that!
Got nothing but praise for the 4.7L. All I do is keep it full of oil and coolant. Its a very hardy engine. Scoped it some years back and could still see hatch marks on the cylinder walls.

Originally Posted by SNK-EYZ
This may sound like a silly question, but what weight oil are you running in it?

The factory recommended weight is 5w-30 and I've been told by another Chrysler Retiree that if you run heavier oil like 10w-40 it will spit out the cam followers on start up.
What he told me was that the heavy weight oil won't flow through the lifter (too thick cold) and pump it up and that's why the cam follower spits out.

A buddy was having the same problem with a 4.7 and we installed some rocker arm retainer clips on his.
It seemed to cure the problem.
They use the same clips on a Ford 4.6, they have the same problem.
They install on the cam follower and keep it centered on the lifter.
I actually run a lighter oil, QSUD 0W-20. Standard dealer fill has been 5W20 for all 4.7L for many years now.

I pulled out all 16 lifters and a lifter for #5 cylinder had seized solid, which is why it spit the rocker. I couldn't budge it even with channel locks. All the rest were loose, albiet with dead springs. I'm replacing all of the lifters.

Last edited by Dodgevity; 04/18/20 06:48 AM.

2003 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab SLT
4.7L V8, Automatic (545RFE), RWD
310K mi