Originally Posted by STEFF
Pull this topic out of mothballs!! This is an oldie but goodie topic that used to get plenty of blood boiling!! 340 based Small Blocks will always reign supreme as the Tru HiPo Small Block, Where as the 360 based Small Blocks were nothing but 340 Wannabe's!!

Let the fight begin!!

I agree!!!
I have owned and raced 42 different small block Chryslers so far. In my opinion the 340 is better if its the 67 to early 72 motors for the forged crank, Higher rpm more reliably Better heads from the factory. Higher compression Pistons, on and on...
The cast crank 340's are the same as all the 360 4 barrel motors and hard to tell when racing stock ver stock.
But in racing if you change everything around the 360s are a dime a dozen and if you blow it up the stuff is easy to find. The 340's are desired for doing restorations and racing.
If mopar had been smart and offered in stock form a 360 with a factory forged crank then I would buy them.
You go ahead and bring your 360 powered car around and make my 340 motor match the same and I will show you why the 340 is better. ( same cam, Same heads, Same intake/carb etc and I will out rev you. Out horsepower you, and beat you to the end of the track.
The 340 X, U, O heads all are 2.02 intake valve sized.
The 360 heads only came with 188 valves.
Sure you can upgrade?
and that is another reason why the early 340's rule in drag racing.
The only reason the 360 motors are so popular as most cant find a 340 instead.
Emissions and Cost was why the 360 stayed.
Performance was not much of a though at mopar anymore.
Fuel crunch and fuel embargo's caused it.
in my humble and educated opinion.
Grant Eaton

Owner of Original collector and restored original mopars from Mr Norms Grand Spaulding Dodge.