Originally Posted by 440mopar
I have a new MP high volume big block oil pump, part number P4286590, installed on my yet to be run engine. The engine is a 400/470 stroker and I was planning on using a factory 187 notched oil pan as it is going into my Dart. I was just reading an article that said when using a high volume oil pump that a 7 quart pan should.be used. Is this true? If it is, will a standard volume oil pump be sufficient for this engine or will I need to go with a higher capacity oil pan?

I had to correct this. I have a 187 oil pan, not an 893.

At some point in your build you should fill the pan with oil so you can check that the dipstick is accurate. Once the engine is full of oil then you can spin the pump with a speed wrench and see how much pressure it builds. You'll want to rotate the engine to the two locations that oil the rocker arms. This is just all standard engine building stuff. During this process you should be able to figure out if you have the correct oil pressure spring for your assembly clearances. If you don't then change the spring now before the engine goes into the car. For a street engine the best compromise is usually a soft spring with one or two shims. The black spring is usually too much pressure for stock type clearances.