Originally Posted by RMCHRGR
I was asking whether "Direct Connection" (not MP) back in the '70s was offering a ported iron head, I don't have any older DC catalogs around.

If Mopar did offer something like that, I imagine they likely would have been done by Mullen. The W2 came out around the same time so it kind of does not really make sense. Maybe they were exploring stuff with factory heads? Dunno.

I have a set of the #269 heads. These were the MP OTC '308' heads without the smog holes. Same a s a regular 308 otherwise with 1.88 valves.

As mentioned, there were a few levels of ported iron heads they offered. I believe that was in the '80s though, not the '70s.

I believe you are thinking of "576" heads. DC/Mopar Perf. had a few versions of them over the years - "stock", assembled/ported to different levels as well as a T/A version.

From what I recall reading, Mullin was experimenting with OEM heads, including T/A, and the radical mods finally lead to just casting a whole new head, the W-2.

I'm guessing that Mopar had a lot of OEM stuff avaialable when the W-2 came out. There was a major cost factor in changing to W-2's, so the OEM based heads still filled a niche.