I love really good tools and equipment as most folks on here do. But I don't have an endless budget either. So I try to make what I call "proportional choices" And this is a personal thing, so it will be different from person to person.

I own a Snapper Pro with a 48" deck. I would call it a transitional unit that falls between residential, and commercial. It runs about 8 mph, and cuts 2 acres in 40 minutes. The chassis is a little more on the commercial side, the engine a little less (although a true commercial engine was and option for this mower chassis) . I've owned it for over ten years, and it has over 500 hours on it. We did a little commercial mowing with it initially, and we've asked it to do things that were arguably beyond its intended use. I don't maintain it as I should. Its been a great machine, I'm not necessarily recommending this unit, as I'm not sure that today's Snapper Pro units are what they were back then. But I do believe that you can get this level of performance, quality and satisfaction in the $5,000 to $6,000 price range. Here a couple things to consider in making your decision:

1) What is "last a long time" for you? 20 years, or 50 years?
2) How much "blade spin time" will you really have. As an example, here in PA, there are between 22 and 25 mowings per year. Multiply that by 40 minutes. That 16 hours per year. That's 335 hours over a 20 year period.

My suggestion: Look at decent name brands in the price range mentioned (Husqvarna, Simplicity. Snapper Pro....). Although these might not be "the best" but they might be perfect for your needs. Don't buy a box store mower..