Originally Posted by HoosierTA
Well, legislatures make statutes in the State Capitol. I can't speak for that State, but in all likelihood the mechanism is similar in each state.
Government historically protects THIER self interests first (funding) not the citizens/taxpayers burden

How can the be "due process" on a deceased person? Easy, before taking property following the procedure to ensure 4th amendment concerns were addressed that's due process.
Due process historically means one gets to face their accuser in court of law, hard to do if you are dead, so IMO, its not so "easy" when you have an adversarial system

There is a lot of that case not mentioned in the article, but making an assumption that to get to the point that property is being sold at a forfeiture auction was done without all those issues taking place is jumping to a lot of conclusions with nothing to support the position.
Everything is assumption for facts not yet presented.

Not liking something doesn't make that "something" immoral or illegal.
Only since I did not make the statue to make the foriture benfiting the accuser is it not illegal. I will and think I have made the case its not fair, for the accuser to benefit from his own accusations, especially without due process.
It's a good thing to have the fruits of a crime taken from a criminal,

That has not been disputed, but their needs to a fair conviction with due process first.

and the taxpayers getting a little less burden.
That is an assumption not based on facts presented, as forfeitures are often able to be spent within department without legislature oversight
Too many times these white collar crimes are never resolved well.
The concept of lessening the burden of taxpayers is not irrespective of one's place in society based on track record, because wealth buys influence.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.