I won some tickets for the 1996 race, had driver's meeting passes too but couldn't get a flight early enough to attend it. I won the tickets on a Thursday, e-mailed a bunch of guys to see who could go. A friend from west of Chicago could go, got Saturday evening flight. He picked me up at O'Hare at 9PM, drove back to his house. We got about four hours of sleep, got up and drove to Indy. We parked a couple of blocks south of the track in some guys yard for $20, he gave us some souvenirs worth that. We got through the gate as Jim Neighbors was singing, we got to our pit side seats (terrible) just as they threw the green flag. They had a crash on the last turn, everyone stood up, couldn't see anything for a while. Finally a wheel/tire rolled past without a car. Never knew who's tire that was.

Based on all of that, I'd look for an outside seats at a turn so you can see down one long stretch and one short shoot, high as possible.

After the race, we went back to my friend's truck, went south several blocks and got on the highway back to Chicago. Got there late, a couple more hours of sleep and they hauled me back to O'Hare to fly back to DFW.

Floyd Lippencott IV