Originally Posted by JDMopar
The ones on new cars are only actuated when the vehicle is placed in park, so it's actually a parking brake. The Wilwood brake would be able to be applied by a switch, and it's all or none. If you tried to use it as an emergency brake, it would lock the rear tires up immediately when you applied the switch. We had them on service bucket trucks at work, and when applied...the truck was locked down and you couldn't budge it! They were made by a company called Mico Brake, and there used to be both hydraulic and electric versions. The latest ones we had were electric. I'm pretty sure jcc meant that it should not be used for a brake in an emergency....like if your regular brakes went out, but only used as a parking brake. 2 totally different things. twocents

There are actually some production vehicles that now use the electronic parking brake caliper as a failsafe support when there is a failure of something like a brake line or a booster. Since it's basically just a motor that runs it they don't necessarily have to have it be a digital on or off.

I think at some point we will have some aftermarket kits for this based on OEM calipers since they are so common now days. Now the actual need for this is a real question for me.

'70 Duster 470hp 340/T56 Magnum/8 3/4 3.23 Sure-Grip