Originally Posted by Mopar.70
Moparts World. I've wrapped up my latest resto on my 71 Challenger 440 6 pack. Car was stripped down to a bare shell and a basketcase project. So I feel great I saved it from the grave and it's a great feeling to drive this thing down the road! But I don't quite feel it's preforming like I planned for it. It's not a numbers car, although my goal was as stock appearing as possible it does have headers and 4 core alum. radiator. I'll give the spec's on it below and history below and if you would help me trouble shoot this build and see if anything glaring pops out at you.

Tanny woes: The first drive in this thing yielded some transmission issues. It wouldn't shift out of 1st gear, pulling the trans and going thru it we found a port was plugged preventing pressure to allow the 1st to 2nd shift. One thing I recall during the first run, car felt like I thought it would in 1st, didn't take much to spin the tires, just a tap of the pedal. So even though everything was rebuilt and new in the tranny, I had bought a full kit for it and put it all in new and upgrade low/reverse band and kickdown lever to 5.0 ratio. Car now shifts into all gears, and drives fine. It will do a burnout, but it's not as scary as I figured it would be with 440 six pack. Car seems "labored" or sluggish". Seems something is robbing it of power. Not alot of low end power, but if you stomp on it while in 3rd gear it pulls hard on the top end. I planned for more torque and low end power than top end power? He's what's in it that I can think of off the top of my head. I'm not sure if it's converter, gear, bad tranny build, bad valve body, timming etc. . .

- 440 .040 over with KB pistons, 915 closed chamber heads that have been milled a tad and slight port/bowl work. 2.14/1.84 valves I believe. Lunati voodoo hydraulic .534/.513 cam (builder said would give 10.1 comp with piston/head combo)
- 6 pack is the direction connection aftermarket mech set
- 3,000 stall converter (Hughes, new)
- 3:55 gear
- 275/60 R 15 tires
-727 has factory valve body, it's a 64 model, but was an old race tranny. Had HD drum and other items to "beef" it up. I'm not a tranny wiz, but have been told by multiple people it has the right stuff in it. But recently had to tighten low/reverse band. Drove around a summer with it to loose.

You want some low end grunt/balls from that combo, dump that pig of a converter, get yourself into the 1800-2000 RPM stall range before even dialing in the carbs/timing IMHO

Mike