1971 Plymouth Roadrunner, 383 with auto. Electronic ignition.
The fried wire harness continues. For my original story, the original post is here.

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/2373445/1.html

The car was running great, parked it with the battery disconnected for 3 weeks. Went to move it and go for an afternoon drive. Hooked up the battery and it starts crackling and smoke from under the hood. Wires cooked but not as bad as before. I will probably need to remove the instrument cluster again which I am not looking forward to.

Anyway, today I was poking around with my 12 volt test light just to see if anything looked weird.

Here is my question. I need someone to walk me through this. I am hooking up the battery NEGATIVE like normal, but I am leaving the positive cable unhooked to avoid any fireworks.
My 12 volt test light is hooked to the positive battery side, so I am testing to see where my continuity or short may be. When I ground it, the light comes on.

My ignition key is OFF.

What circuits should I expect to be “HOT” all the time? Or, when my test light lights up, what is ok and what is suspicious? I know any ground or ground wire will light up.

The starter relay wire and terminal on the starter? The Ammeter? What else?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Eightlitermopar

Mopar or no car