Originally Posted By AndyF
Originally Posted By hugo
I want to make as much power as I can with my indy 440-1 hand ported heads. They flow 356 at 700 and around 370 at 800. I know I wont make what you guys with B-1 Mc are making. But I want to build a good foundation and make a strong reliable bracket engine. My goal is to make 900hp with my heads. I can always upgrade my heads later. I don't have the budget for new heads right now. I already had a 499 ci and will be reusing my heads and pushrods, lifter. My car is a 69 road runner that weighs 2947 with the 499 ready to race with me in it. Chassis is ladder bar in the back and struts in the front. The suspension can take the 900 hp goal.

My 514 race engine made 900 hp with ported EZ heads and a single 4bbl. That engine spent a lot of time on the dyno to get there, but once we figured it out the recipe wasn't hard to follow. You should be able to do it with -1 heads if they have good ports. You'll need a ported intake, a big Dominator, lots of compression and a big cam. I think you'll need Jesel rocker arms to hit 900 hp and if it was me I'd use a Jesel belt drive and a belt drive distributor since those things just make it easier to work on the engine.

If it was me I'd go with 4.500 bore size and a 4.250 crank. That gives you 540 inches and it should go together really easy. Lots of vendors for the parts and good rings are available at that bore size. Shoot for 15:1 compression if you want to make 900 hp and run X16 gas.

Send the heads to Porter Racing so they can go thru them and advise you on the port work. They can also set you up with the right cam and valve train for 900 hp. Only intake that will work on a low deck is the Indy 400-3. It isn't a great intake out of the box so ship it to Wilson or to Fast Lane. Figure on $1000 for the port work but you'll need it to hit 900 hp.

Good luck and make sure you have about $20K in your check book before you start.

I already have a ported 400 intake. Mi Indy heads do have TD’s one shaft per cylinder.