Originally Posted By CHRGR69
Is there a trick to determine how many turns on the tie rod ends to get it close?

Yes, count the number of turns it takes to remove the old tie rod end, and install the new tie rod end the same number of turns. Probably too late for that though.

Now you are forced to measure the toe you have and adjust accordingly. Back in the old dirt track days, we would measure the distance between a tire treads on the front of the tires and then measure the distance at the back of the tires using the same tire treads. Measuring at the back of the tires is often a challenge, there is a lot of stuff that gets in the way. Make your measurement as high on the tire as you can get a straight line, both in front of the tire and behind them. I prefer to go for the same measurement because this will only get you close. The only way to get it right is to have the vehicle aligned.

Were I guessing, I would guess that if your wearing off the inside edge of the front tires, its likely toed out.
If the tie rod ends are in front of the ball joints, drop the end on one side, and turn it in one turn.
If the tie rod ends are behind the ball joints, drop the end on one side and turn the end out one turn.
Then get it in for an alignment. Gene