Originally Posted By Cab_Burge
Originally Posted By WO23Coronet
I think Mopar Action did one back in the day (It was on 440 blocks but probably still applicable to 400's) and they found the later blocks were cast thicker and more consistent, but were of a slightly softer grade of cast iron. I'd look for a later block and try your luck there

All 440 block, regardless of the year cast, are no where near as good as a decent 400 block for building, trust me on that twocents
You need to remember that not all magazine writers are real hot rod guys with hands on experiences that know something about what there writing about, I've seen that personally time and time again down

Cab, I wasn't espousing the benefits of a 440 block over a 400 block (there are none, the 400 is a better foundation to build on for sure). I was merely pointing out Mopar Actions experience, in an article written by Ehrenberg (sp?), that the later blocks were thicker and more consistent. Yes they were 440 blocks but I imagine it transfers over to the 400's as well. If I remember correctly they tested around 20 blocks. Love him or hate him Ehrenberg seems to be at least a legit car guy who gets his hands dirty

Last edited by WO23Coronet; 02/14/19 03:23 AM.