[/b]In cam timing terms like a traditional LA small block with a cam ground at 110 and installed 4 degrees advanced at 106 for example. The vvt is essentially moving the cam around from say 104 advanced to 116 retarded depending on the engine speed, correct? [b]

Essentially yes, but it also uses torque tables and emissions to figure out what timing is optimal for the current requirements.

[/b]If I put a 6.4 cam in a 5.7 block and lock out the vvt and I want the cam straight up or advanced, does it matter on which side I block it from moving? Or just block it and then I can adjust it with the electronics?[b]

the way the system is designed you can't advance the cam more than TDC , when the two marks on the Cam gear are lined up that's O TDC, with the internal mark at let's say 11.55 o'clock the cam gear fully retarted
As you look at the 2nd photo with the vains turned fully clockwise you would block it to the left of the vains for straight up.
Outside cam mark at 12 o'clock and crank mark at 12 o'clock.(confusing I know) is "straight up"
I've been meaning to play with advancing the cam/crank one tooth and than seeing where everything sorts out, turn the internal "piece' counter clock wise and seeing where the cam is in relation to the crank and than work something out from there.

I am working with someone to bring a timing set to market that converts the system to a more traditional setup while still using the VVT cam core and VVT style chain tensioners, were are debating on weather or not we should shorten up the chain and remove the tensioners all together.

Last edited by ric3xrt; 10/06/18 01:49 PM.

Truth has no agenda, but those with an agenda make their own truth.
Some of us are so open minded they only see their View