Originally Posted By GomangoCuda
Originally Posted By jbc426
Great results! I was surprised to see the size of the outboard main jets. Those are 10 sizes larger than what my 493 with similar sized cam & Indy EZ's likes according to my wideband. I do run the mechanical DC Holley's.

I bet his are .089" and .091" holes in metering plates. That would be about the same as your jet sizes in metering blocks. Decades ago when I raced with the mechanical carbs at least 4 times a week I had three outer metering blocks with 78, 80,and 82 jets. I could swap them at the track a lot quicker than switching jets. Usually ran 78's and 80's on warm days and 80's and 82's on cold days. 64's or 65's in the center.

Wow, great info you guys! This was back in the day before the non-stick gaskets, nylon bowl washers and widebands too, right?

The Holley jets are not super accurate either. Does anyone make blueprinted Holley jets that actually match the flow of the number stamped on them?

I don't have a heat crossover in my Indy's, have insulating mat between the intake manifold and valley pan and run a Shaker hood. The carbs are still super sensitive to air temperature and heat soak. I can feel significant power loss as heat saturates the intake from heat soak.

I wonder if the same power loss would occur with multi-point EFI?

1970 Plymouth 'Cuda #'s 440-6(block in storage)currently 493" 6 pack, Shaker, 5 speed Passon, 4.10's
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Convertible 408 Magnum EFI with 4 speed automatic overdrive, 3800 stall lock-up converter and 4.30's (closest thing to an automatic 5 speed going)