<< Let me (again) preface an auto-trans related question by admitting that I'm an idjit about auto transmissions. >>

When I had a stock 727 w/ a Trans-Go TF-2 modified VB, I started my burnouts in 1st and never upshifted. I'd been told by a previous trans builder that this was the only safe way to do it w/o having a bolt-in sprag, and I never had any issues this way.

Then the trans was updated w/ a bolt-in sprag, among other things. I also switched to a Turbo-Action "Race Only" FMVB without low-band-apply (LBA) per Paul Forte's recommendation.

When I called Paul, I asked initially about the "Street/Strip" FMVB he offers that has LBA, but Paul asked me about how my trans was built, my car's usage, and how I expected to drive it. Since I told him I knew to start my burnouts in 2nd (never 1st) and shift to 3rd once the tires are spinning, he said not having LBA wouldn't be an issue and the car would also be slightly quicker w/o it.

My topic question: Why is LBA is still considered important by some (many?) trans builders with MVBs and never starting out in 1st gear during a burnout?

It sounds like the proper technique negates the need for LBA, but I must not understand all the implications. Thanks - Brad