Howdy

I dropped my 512 into my 1954 C series pickup on a 1989 dakota frame today and learned something I’d like to share with the whole class wink

The dakota 3.9 v6 that I pulled out of this std cab rwd longbed had spool mounts- they looked very similar to the ones in my 1973 swinger. My 400 block has the late model big block spool engine brackets. From what I’ve read the 1st gen 87-96 daks the motor mounts are the same for 3.9 v6 and 318 or 5.2, but different from the 4cyl mounts. Makes sense right? Since the 3.9 is basically a 318 with #7 & #8 cyls chopped off.

I’ve also read that the late big block K members in muscle cars you could swap small block LA to B or RB 361-440 because the mounts are in the same place. 3.9=318. 318=440. So maybe 440=3.9? No such luck. Maybe the next guy will turn up this thread in a search because I didn’t find anything past the now discontinued schumacher swap kit parts.

So I figured I would probably have to move the mounts for rad clearance or proper driveline offset to match my ‘custom’ rear axle, but it turns out that the dak mounts weren’t even close to fitting on the big block. With the passenger side installed the driver’s side was way up by the oil pump body. The passenger side is too far off center- even farther than a standard driveline offset.

Luckily the frame side mounts unbolt from the crossmember leaving a decently clean canvas to work with and the motor side spools will be easy to connect being just one big longitudinal bolt per side. Fabrication time!

In other news for all the people rushing to duplicate my easy quick little weekend project the rear sump melling 8 qt pan fits nicley behind the crossmember and a deep cast trans pan fits just in front of the stock trans x-member.

I have the motor just sitting in the chassis now with a huge hole cut in the firewall. It’ll probably sit there for a while before I crib it up and make new mounts.