I am restoring a 71 Challenger Deputy and I too am attempting to replicate the OEM style paints for the tail panel, grill and headlight bezels to the best of my ability.

Argent style or textured paint is extremely difficult to replicate as exact as the manufacturer did it, but it's easy to get so close as to make it nearly impossible to tell.

I've been at it two weeks straight for this particular car. Oem paint code F7. Trim codes do not tell the styling or base for the argent grill, nor the color name for the grey/silver of the inner grill snorkels (no other word comes to mind) with the stainless rings.

After much cleaning and inspecting in different lights, the outsides of the snorkels are a silvery plastic color, while the rear portions non exposed to any sun are a medium grey. I will post photos, of all my thoughts and my processes for this restoration.

The aregent style grainy silver effect are the results of a black basecoat, with silver metalflake infused into a subdued, or flat clear coat, which is thinned enough to allow the metal flake edges to stand up and be felt. This is the only way I have been able to replicate the texture.
Using a black basecoat the results are as night and day, and do not represent the cover of silver properly, so a few test panels later I mixed and found a meduim dark gray basecoat with the metalflake and clear coverage that exactly replicates the surrent grill color and texture scheme as if it were represented from the factory (Without the fade and weathering as it is seen currently to the naked eye) I hope.....

Bear with me as my nerves and camera take us through what I hope will be a Victory for all 70-74 E body enthusiasts whom wish to make their car look as perfectly original as possible.

Any and ALL advice and thoughts on tones or shades are welcome, and ALL NOS clear photos of these items in this post are welcomed with open eyes and willingness to learn.

Regards,

Gary (Bucky71)

Last edited by Bucky71Deputy; 08/21/18 05:36 PM.