I like using the Harbor Freight 12 ton jackstands for the front and the regular 6 ton stands for the rear axle. 1 set of 4 of each of those jackstands and a Costco $90 3-ton floor jack have served me well for decades.

I use the regular floor jack to slide it in and out with no issues, but it has slipped off once or twice. Hands to self when that happens. I can still lift them up and put it in by hand, but only because I work out at the gym. If I don't go regularly, that ability goes away and chance of injury in general goes up.

I've been R&R'ing the trans for 40 years by myself that way. A lift would require a dedicated, tall transmission jack for lifts, and then the lift is in the way in a small shop.

Lifting the car up onto the highest setting of the 12 tone jackstands makes it nice for polishing the sides and lowers too.

1970 Plymouth 'Cuda #'s 440-6(block in storage)currently 493" 6 pack, Shaker, 5 speed Passon, 4.10's
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Convertible 408 Magnum EFI with 4 speed automatic overdrive, 3800 stall lock-up converter and 4.30's (closest thing to an automatic 5 speed going)