Originally Posted By dogdays
D360, you are mistaken that more gear oil is better for the differential. So rigging up a system to allow yourself to run the gearbox overfull is backwards thinking...

Hmm...??? As best as I can tell nowhere did I say I was looking for a way to put MORE gear oil then the factory spec'ed. In fact, right from the start I was aiming for the factory fill 4 pint mark.

Originally Posted By dogdays
...The fill plug was designed into the casting by the guys who designed the differential. They put it at the right place.
That is all the oil that's needed for the gears to live. Adding more oil than the optimum amount may cause foaming and if you drive long enough you'll find out that having foam trying to lubricate hypoid gears isn't a good idea...

I completely agree with you on this. I do not want the gear oil to start foaming since that will certainly provider much less protection then an oil film. After all, foaming oil is simply an air bubble, and well all know that does not lubricate well.

Thank you for pointing out the flaw in such an approach, but it was never my goal to overfill.