even those TV shows want to start with a super nice whatever. i watched one where they started on a chevy pickup [mid 60's ? i dunno] and after the tear down, threw everything back on the chassis and made the owner haul it away, then found a similar year truck that was in MUCH better condition to start the build. they STILL found issues, but they weren't near as bad as the owners truck he wanted them to build.
and it always amazes me when that guy in conneticut [?] points out how much something will cost, yet people still want him to continue. i understand personal attachment and family history [but that is different than buying something just because it's "cool"], but just because you want "XYZ" car, don't start with a piece of junk ! you will be so upside down it won't be funny. and in short order.
then there are guys that possess the talent and tools to save something from the crusher "just because", but that is an altogether different deal than the average gearhead.
just my opinion. i'm not out to offend anyone, and i apologize if i have done so. but your mileage may vary.
beer