My latest project is a 451 quench engine with 440 Source heads. IIRC, the compression ratio comes in somewhere in the mid 10's.

It has a remanufactured mini starter for a 1989 Gran Fury 318 from Rock Auto. I bought one of the more expensive ones they sold in hopes of getting a quality starter. This, after discovering that a new MP mini starter now costs over $250. Maybe I made a bad decision.

I have another car with a 500-inch 440 with around 11:1 CR that has a real MP mini starter that has worked great for years.

The 451 kicks back on the starter when the engine is hot, with the base timing set at 14* BTDC. The 500 runs at 18* BTDC and starts just fine when it is hot. The 451 uses a brand new, higher CCA Napa Legend battery than the 500. I really don't think I have a battery problem. I've tightened the cables on the lugs, made sure the battery-to-ground cable is tight, all the usual first things to check.

I'm wondering if the issue is my starter, and if plunking down the cash for a MP unit would solve my problem. Of course, I could swap the starters between the two cars, and I will if no one can else has been down the same path and can save me trouble by enlightening me with their findings.

Thank you.