Howdy!

I’m in the middle of my first 727 rebuild. I got a kit with kolene steels and raybestos stage 1 fibers. They are the same ones for front & back. Sorry if it’s a dumb newb question but I just did a quick test fit to see how many will go under the ring lands and there seem to be some extras left over. I don’t have experience with this job to know if this combo of parts is standard stuff or if it’s common to have to machine the pressure plate or something to get an optimal gap or fit an extra pair. I have seen pics of the heavy duty drum with more space before the snap ring I have a normal one from behind a late 70s 400 B motor. Maybe a standard kit has enough fibers & steels for the extra tall style clutch pack?

If I understand right I just stack them starting with a steel and ending with a fiber then the pressure plate and then check the gap between the plate and the snap ring. I figure the object would be to fit as many as possible and still get enough clearance for the fibers to spin (without dragging and making heat) when not clamped right?

So would I be going for a stock clearance or a spec that multiplies a value times how many fibers I can fit? Should I measure it dry before pre soaking and lubeing?

I haven’t done any measuring yet just some late night 727 disassembly. There was fine gray paste sludge in the pan so I decided to buy some books and teach myself how to freshen one of these up. Man the rear clutches and steels were smoked! The steels are even a little warped and there is almost no friction material left on them but everything else I’ve examined in this thing is in great shape. I am glad I decided to open this thing up.

Thanks Moparts!