Originally Posted By Spartan040

My goal is to make a resto mod/pro touring car that can handle very well (I intend to take it to some track events) and still give me a good ride for cruising or going around town every now and then.

I've mostly been considering what suspension setup to go with. I'm looking mostly at the Hotchkis TVS with their single adjustable shocks, a Heidts universal IRS in back, and a US Car Tool stage 3 chassis stiffening kit. But, I know there are coilover setups like the AlterKtion and there are completely new aftermarket chassis like the G-Machine, although that one requires more work to install than I really want to put in.

IMO the Heidt's is outdated, the Morrison is the current flavor of the month in aftermarket IRS.IMo, its neat, impressive, pricey, not reversible, and poor bang for buck.

I'm led to believe that the Hotchkis setup generally does better with handling for less money than the coilovers, but I'm curious about how the ride quality differs between the two, and about how adjustable the coilovers are between a soft and hard ride.

Coilovers are mainly for header additional clearance, and maybe a better rate selection for really fine wheel rate tuning. Big TB are fine and best bang for buck, and take little effort.

Other elements of my build:

440/512 stroker, aluminum block and heads, Edelbrock Pro Flo 4 XT fuel injection

TCI 6X automatic transmission OR Silver Sport A41 Perfect Fit Kit

Borgeson Power Steering Box

Not sure if I classify an auto as ever as a serious track car. A stout big block auto will almost never be able to put down its torque to the pavement, beside the F/R issues. You would be much better off with a hot stroker SB

Another thing I've been considering is weight distribution. I know the original all-iron big block E-bodies were extremely front-heavy, and this engine I've speced out should weigh around 430-475, which shaves over 200 pounds off the front. What else can be done in aiding weight distribution to get closer to 50-50?

Your best improvement of the car is simply the one thing in all these threads overlooked, maximize your seat time. It will overcome anything mentioned above. The deeper you go into the mods you are touching on above, the more money you will spend, the less forgiving/touchy the car will become, the less seat time you will have, the older you will get, and the better chance you have of life once again changing your direction/focus.

My suggestion:
Buy a used stroker running drop in SB w/alum heads
Get a Passon 5 spd or T-56
Big TB's
Composite Leafs
Big Anti front bolt on Roll bar
Aftermarket UCA's to help with alignment goals
13" and up front discs
17" and up wheels Square
tires nothing smaller then 275's
Frame connectors welded
A good drivers seat and belts
Multiple Front spoilers (cheap, they don't like off track excursions)
Fiberglass lift off hood
Battery to rear
Everything above is proven, cost effective, resalable, and helps get you on the track promptly, compared to your initial goals.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.