Howdy!

I’m not exactly bewildered just not very experienced. I ran small high stall converters behind hot rod slant 6s before so that I didn’t have to idle real high and jolt into gear to make up for poor idle quality. I have more experience with gnarlier cams etc in small blocks with stick shifts so I understand a performance powerband but never played with big boy converters. Since I’m on a tight budget I kind of still won’t be!

Here’s what I have going on: I’m building a mild 400/512 stroker for the street and putting it in a 1954 dodge pickup on an 89 dakota chassis. I own three 8.25 rears so for now I’ll be laying one stripe with the stock 3.21 one legger. Hopefully a light vehicle & lack of traction will make the rear (and 2 spares!) last until I can go dana/4link or whatever I decide when my wallet recovers. The motor is getting stock stealth heads, 10:1 cr, comp 507/510 (240°/246°@.050) cam, 1 7/8” headers, rpm intake, 750 holley. I’m going for torquey and responsive more than max hp.

I’m anticipating somewhere north of 350hp/400tq at the wheels with gobs of torque all over? I am confident the big stroker will love the 3.21 gear. I feel like if I had a strong rear and traction a 2500/3000 stall would be a stoplight monster but traction/strength limited all it would do is drive mushy and hot at mid throttle or constantly burn rubber? With a 727 and 3.21 2500rpm is 35mph. I’m guessing my combo won’t need 1250rpm in N just to idle at 850 in gear?

I have a stock converter sitting here that will cost zero to stick in there, or I can afford to grab something like a $300 2400ish stall. Also I have a slap shifter to control it. It’s the kind that you can put it in D or slap your way up from 1st and chirp the shifts. Should I do anything extra to my trans while it’s out for this combo?

Thanks moparts!
Radar