Technology has really advanced on them. It seems there are two popular camps, the all out race SS type motors, which are incredibly large $$$ and have developed to the point where the garden type Hemi racers can't relate much, big diameter cams, changed valve angles, etc., or there is the pure stock restorers wanting them totally back the way they were stock. Most of the folks writing about them and providing info are real high end developers, or restorers.

Dinosaurs, like me, who are rank and file racers, still racing OEM type versions of the Hemi, are increasingly hard to find, but we're out there. Nostalgia Super Stock, like we do, still has a lot of geezers like me who live for this stuff, and who have loved these motors for decades and still love them. I guess we're like old Harley guys. But, still hooked on them, pound for pound there is nothing like a Hemi. Still the most potent factory produced engine ever. Cantankerous, fidgety, but when right nothing will run with them. We race several, from 650-700 hp 60s style nostalgia motors like ours to the new technology "nostalgia" motors that pump out over 900 hp.

My old friend the late "Bullet" Bob Reed said it best. "There ain't but two kinds of people in this world. Those that have Hemis, and those that want Hemis". It's still that way.

Good resources for the nostalgia Hemi stuff would be the old DC engine manual, or Larry Shephard's HP book "How to Rebuild and Modify Chrysler 426 Hemi engines". You can probably get it on Amazon. He was a Chrysler engineer that was involved in the initial development, and the race teams of the 60s.

Last edited by Steve1118; 05/25/18 12:23 PM.

"Old age and treachery trumps youth and enthusiasm, every time!"

East Central Director / Chrysler Power Magazine

www.reasbeckracing.webs.com