Recently put a Hughes Whiplash cam in a 71 383 and I'm having some problems. According to their website, you should be able to use a stock converter with this cam. It kept choking down the engine and dying when put in gear, so I replaced the stock converter with a 2800 stall unit. It's better, but I still have trouble keeping it running in gear. It acts almost like there is a vacuum leak somewhere. It is a 71 383 that was freshened up. 8.5 to 1 compression, fresh set of 346 heads with valve springs to match the cam, torker intake, Hooker super comps, 3310 Holley carb, factory single point distributor. I have replaced the intake gaskets using a new bathtub with the Fel-pro sandwich gaskets. I checked the carb base to make sure it isn't warped. This engine ran fine with the same set up before, the only difference was a factory cam and a Carter AVS carb. I have tried the avs with this cam and it runs the same as the Holley. I installed the cam straight up,should I advance it a couple degrees? I'm drawing a blank here.